The phrase “the things of the spirit” is used twice in the scriptures, both times by the Apostle Paul. In spite of that fact LDS leaders use the term often. I had 114 hits when I searched LDS.org for usage of this phrase in the Ensign Magazine.
When church members use the phrase “the things of the spirit” they are talking about one or all of the following:
1. The light of Christ
2. The Holy Ghost
3. The Gift of the Holy Ghost
It seems to me that having a clear understanding of each of these “things of the spirit” is a worthwhile study.
Each of the following scriptures refers to the things of the spirit. Can you determine which of the “things of the spirit” is being manifest in the following scriptures?
1. …unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man… Mosiah 3:19
2. …fill[s] the immensity of space. D&C 88:12
3. I beheld the Spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man; and he went forth upon the many waters… 1 Nephi 13:12
4. [Alma] … knew that the dark veil of unbelief was being cast away from his mind, and the light which did light up his mind, which was the light of the glory of God… Alma 19:6