The prophet Joseph Smith taught:
In the resurrection, some are raised to be angels, others are raised to become Gods. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 312).
The difference between an angel and a God is explained, in part, in this verse of scripture:
…[some] are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory. For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged… D&C 132:16 – 17
The Lord loves all of His children! That is a given. The real question is: do we love the lord? If we love Him, then we will keep His commandments so that we can receive, “all that my Father hath” and be raised to become Gods.
We’re invited to enter the Father’s Kingdom and be as He is. He wants to give us power, but we must show that we are worthy to receive power. To determine our worthiness we must be tried and proven.
Following is a list of twelve ways we can be prepared to be raised to become Gods:
1. Can we discern the things of the Spirit? 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
2. Will we follow the Spirit? D&C 84:47 And every one that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit cometh unto God, even the Father.
3. Will we repent? 2 Nephi 30:2 …for the Lord covenanteth with none save it be with them that repent…
4. Will we receive the ordinances of salvation? D&C 84:20-21 Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest.
5. Will we receive the Holy Ghost? 2 Nephi 31:13 …I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ…then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost…
6. Will we seek earnestly for the gifts of the Spirit? D&C 46:8 …that ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts…
7. Will we follow the Lord’s prophet? D&C 1:38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.
8. Will we work out our salvation? 2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself … he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
9. Will we feast upon the words of Christ? 2 Nephi 31:20 …press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ…
10. Will we love and serve our fellow man? John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
11. Will we come unto Christ and be converted? 3 Nephi 9:20 …And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost…at the time of their conversion…
12. Will we endure to the end? 3 Nephi 15:9 …endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life.
There are many ways we can prepare to be raised in the resurrection to become Gods. I’ve mentioned a few. Please add to my list.